Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Obama Inauguration in NL
In the midst of a busy Intro Week, we took a break to watch the presidential inauguration in the campus bar. I was extremely frustrated and angry. After following the campaign, voting, and watching the election results, it all came down to this one point! It was history in the making, and I was stuck watching it in a bar, on a projector screen, streaming from the internet. It was the absolute worse quality. Every thirty seconds the video stream would stop. The 6.5 minute speech turned into a 10-15 minute nightmare. Not only was the quality of the video poor, but I was also surrounded by people who really could care less. They spent the entire time talking about parties and their weekend rendezvous. They were not as invested in this as I. Obama was not their new president, he did not represent them, he did not determine their cousin and friends' future as the Commander in Chief of the military, he was unimportant to them. They pretend to care about American politics and they feign interest. They showed their true colors as they disrespected everyone who gathered to witness the event of their lifetime. I kindly asked the people next to me who loudly talked about their weekend plans, to step outside if they wanted to talk, because I was there to listen to Obama. Instead of stepping outside or shutting up, they continued to talk loudly. I felt so disrespected and angered. I wanted to strangle them and shout "You disrepectful pigs! This is my future! You cannot even fathom how important this is to me!" I was clenching my cell phone so tight I thought I was going to break it. Rude, arragont, insolent, impudent aggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! These are my fellow classmates! One of the impertenent talkers loudly proclaimed, "What a memorable moment." Yeah, all I will remember was what party you went to and what you ate, instead of how I felt as Obama addressed the country as the president for the first time. Thanks a lot.